There’s nothing more exciting than a crispy-edged Sourdough Lemon Bundt Cake. Crispy crust, soft interior. AND topped with a tangy lemon glaze? Delicious. I love lemons. They make everything bright and scrumptious. Especially cakes.
I had a ton of the freshest Meyer lemons to use up, so what did I choose to use them on? This Bundt cake, of course. But you can use any lemons you wish. You can use any sourdough starter you wish as well, or omit it.
Sourdough Lemon Bundt Cake: Little details
This Bundt cake contains brown butter, which you make on the stove in the beginning of the recipe. If you’ve never browned butter before, you’re in for a treat. Prepare for lovely, lovely smells and such a good taste, omg.
Feel free to use whatever sourdough starter you have around, whether it’s fresh or fridge-locked, mature or over-matured. Easy.
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe below! I love hearing from you all. Also, you can tag me on Instagram @higheralchemybaking with your bake!
Sourdough Lemon Bundt Cake
- 10-inch bundt pan
for the brown butter
- 226g unsalted butter
for the sugar mixture
- 200g sugar
- zest from 3 lemons
for the batter
- the sugar mixture
- 4 eggs
- 100g sourdough starter
- 120g yogurt
- juice of 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 325g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- the browned butter
for the glaze
- 150g powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Make the brown butter. In a small saucepan on medium heat, place the butter in the pan. Keep an eye on it and let it melt almost entirely. Begin to whisk it as it bubbles. It may foam. Keep whisking and when you see brown bits starting to form, turn off the heat and continue whisking for 30 seconds. Transfer the butter to a small bowl, making sure to get all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest by massaging the zest into the sugar with your fingertips. Do this until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- When the butter is cooled completely, continue on! Oil a 10-inch Bundt pan (if you know yours sticks or you aren’t sure, then carefully butter and flour it). Preheat the oven to 350F. Now make the batter. Add the 4 eggs and the sourdough starter to the sugar mixture and whisk until fluffy. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over the batter mixture. Fold the batter with a spatula a few times, then pour in the brown butter. Continue to fold until no streaks remain. Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Even out the top with a spatula if necessary. Tap the pan once or twice on the counter, then place in the oven to bake for 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then flip the cake onto a wire rack.
- While the cake cools, make the glaze. Whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth. When the cake is fully cooled, place it on the serving dish and drizzle the glaze on top.
- Enjoy! Let me know what you think below in the comments or on Instagram @higheralchemybaking!
Let me know what you think of my recipe in the comments below! If you want another sourdough starter dessert recipe, check out my Carrot Cake With Sourdough!